Position: Senior Manager, Legal, Licensing & Enforcement
Reports to: Director of Legal, Licensing & Enforcement
Salary: The position is on Category IIA1 of the PURA pay scale.
Number of vacancies: (1) one
The Public Utilities Regulatory Authority (PURA) is the Gambia’s independent multi-sector regulator established under the PURA Act 2001 to regulate the following sectors:
- Petroleum (Downstream)
- Water and Sewage
PURA in accordance with its mandate is currently striving towards performing technical, economical and safety regulatory functions in respect to regulated public services. This is done in a bid to achieving its regulatory mandate and fair competition within regulated entities, economic development, social inclusion and environmental sustainability in order to ensure improved protection of both consumers and service providers. Accordingly, the Authority is currently looking to recruit a legal practitioner to provide legal assistance service for various thematic issues it is faced with on daily basis
SCOPE OF WORK
The individual is required to support the Authority on a broad range of issues, including but not limited to taking the day to day legal responsibilities and providing legal advice that includes all aspects of the Authority’s regulatory mandate. He/she will be responsible for providing support in licensing and enforcement issues, defending and arraigning were necessary on behalf of the Authority. He/she will also be responsible for structuring remedies for the relevant regulatory issues. Some of the responsibilities that need to be handled by him/her includes the following:
- Conduct legal analysis and research on various legal, licensing and enforcement matters
- Provide advice on different legal issues and assist in drafting licenses, legal opinions and other legal documents
- Be actively involved in processing and evaluating licenses application, preparing different regulations and guidelines
- Conduct legal research by utilizing various resources and selecting the relevant material to analyze the legal information
- Assist in reviewing the legal material and any other relevant documents and to identify the most important issues that need to be sorted out on a priority basis
- Represent the Authority in litigation, as requested
- Drafting of relevant regulations, guidelines and policies
- Provide such other legal services as may be requested by the Authority from time to time
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION & PREFERRED EXPERIENCE
- The individual must be a Legal Practitioner enrolled in The Gambia Bar.
- Master’s Degree will definitely be preferred
- The individual must have a minimum of 4 years’ work experience in relevant field.
- Experience in civil and criminal litigation will be a plus.
- Excellent team player with a proven track record of working with multi stakeholder community
- Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills
SUBMISSIONS OF APPLICATIONS
All applicants must complete and sign PURA Job Application Form which can downloaded from the PURA website (www.pura.gm) or picked up at the PURA office reception desk, Applications must be accompanied with a Curriculum Vitae (CV) and photocopies of certificates.
All applications must be submitted to the PURA office in sealed envelopes on or before 12:00hrs, day 23rd October 2020 and Addressed to:
The Director General
Public Utilities Regulatory Authority (PURA)
P.O. Box 4230 Bakau